Friday, September 11, 2015

This antique piano had been left out in the elements for what looked like decades. I can't say just how many critters I vacuumed out of it, or how many hours of scrubbing some pretty vile nastiness off both the inside and outside of this dysfunctional instrument. It was a fascinating process dismantling the piano! Most of us know how one of these works... the keys move the hammers to strike the indicated string to produce the desired note or chord, but I now have a new found respect for it's complexity. I removed that ebony and ivory keys one at a time from left to right, numbering them as I went so I could use them for a future piece of restyled art. The hammers were a lost cause however, I was not about to try and de-funk each one, so out they went. I also bailed on the keyboard cover as well as the lower cover, but I did keep the decorative hammer cover! My plan was to remove the harp and use it for a piece of wall art in my home, but I could not bring myself to do so, it's just too cool right where it is! The exterior is painted with Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan in Emporer's Silk that is sealed with General Finishes Flat Out Flat top coat, and antiqued with Annie's dark wax. I placed a solid pine board that I stained with General Finishes Java Gel Stain where the piano keys once were, and the piece now serves as a display in the shop. At some point, I think I'll add t-moldings along the inside of the top to hold stemmed wine glasses, and racks in the bottom to house wine bottles!

No comments:

Post a Comment